Pope Francis thanks New Ways Ministry in recent correspondence
Published by the National Catholic Reporter on December 8, 2021
In two letters to New Ways Ministry this year, Pope Francis commended the organization for its outreach to the LGBTQ community and referred to one of its co-founders, Loretto Sr. Jeannine Gramick, as “a valiant woman” who had suffered much for her ministry.
Written in Spanish on official Vatican stationery, Francis’ letters mention that the pope is aware that New Ways Ministry’s “history has not been an easy one,” but that loving one’s neighbor is still the second commandment, tied “necessarily” to the first commandment to love God.
Read the full article here.
Additional news stories on this event include:
- Soul Seeing for Lent with Loretto Sr. Jeannine Gramick National Catholic Reporter – March 7, 2022
- Sr. Jeannine Gramick reflects on series of letters from Pope Francis Global Sisters Report – January 11, 2022
- Interview: Sister Jeannine Gramick on being censured by the Vatican, 50 years of ministry and her hopes for LGBT Catholics America Magazine – January 7, 2022
- Pope Francis writes to controversial nun, thanking her for 50 years of LGBTQ ministry Washington Post – January 7, 2022
- Pope Francis praises Sister Jeannine Gramick’s 50 years of L.G.B.T. ministry in handwritten letter America Magazine, January 7, 2022