Loretto’s Legacy Resounds as a Grace and Challenge
Loretto’s first members, Mary Rhodes, Christina Stuart and Ann Havern, began their religious life together on April 25, 1812, a day celebrated as Loretto Foundation Day each year. From the very start in what is now the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the three women recognized the need of children in the area for education and religious formation. Their priest, Loretto founder Rev. Charles Nerinckx, composed for the Sisters of Loretto a simple rule called “the Little Society of the Friends of Mary Under the Cross of Jesus.” His writings focused on the often-remembered quote, “Have only one heart, one soul and one mind.” Throughout our more than two centuries of existence, these very words have inspired Community members to devote themselves to God, to the neighbor and to each other.
We’re now at 208 years of carrying out our mission and counting. The same Spirit who inspired and guided our founders gathers us in community today. We walk with all those Friends of Mary in a life of praise, prayer and service.