The Loretto Motherhouse is the traditional “home place” for the Sisters of Loretto, and a spiritual center for the broader Loretto Community, “which seeks to praise God and serve the near and farther neighbor by educating ourselves and others in the ways of peace and justice.”
Our Old Kentucky Home
The Loretto Motherhouse property has been a working farm from the time the Rev. Stephen Badin purchased the land in 1796 and named it St. Stephen’s Farm. It became home to the Sisters of Loretto in 1824, the center from which Loretto sent teachers to the western frontier and, later as far as China, South America, Africa and Pakistan. Today, in addition to being the home to about 100 Loretto Community members and housing the Infirmary, a licensed long-term care facility for aging sisters and others, the 788-acre property includes:
Working Farm, Woods & Land
including land in federal conservation. Learn more.
Cedars of Peace and Knobs Haven
two retreat centers for personal and group retreats. Learn more.
Loretto Heritage Center
Archives and Museum. Learn more.
featuring the work of Jeanne Dueber SL. Learn more.
Sunday Mass closed to public due to pandemic. More Chapel details here.
Our home since 1824