Loretto at the UN Celebrates the International Day of the Girl
This past week we celebrated the International Day of the Girl (#IDG2023)! Amidst the ongoing global conflict and natural disasters, it was a welcome break to take a moment to uplift girl leaders, present and future.
Here are seven ways you can join in that celebration:
- Check out this three-minute preview video featuring Nerinx Hall students.
- Watch this 25-minute video we produced to promote the rights of girls to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment. It features students from St. Mary’s Academy, Nerinx, and the countries of South Africa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Honduras, Trinidad and Australia.
- Check out the list of actions to go with the video of girls’ rights to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment. Perhaps they will inspire you to follow suit or work with others to promote wellness wherever you live.
- Want to hear more girls’ voices from around the world? Then watch the entire Day of the Girl Speak-Out (105 mins) that took place at the U.N. in NYC.
- Afghanistan is the only country in the world where girls are not permitted to be educated beyond age 11. This is an unacceptable situation, and many people at the United Nations and in governments around the world are working to change that. Learn about SOLA, School of Leadership Afghanistan, which is a school for girls now based in Kigali, Rwanda – watch the 60 Minutes’ overview of SOLA , and please keep the people of Afghanistan in your prayers. Many are suffering from recent earthquakes in the western part of that country.
- Think about all the girls you know in the world. Feel gratitude for them and let them know you care about their rights and their futures.
- Continue to pray for our efforts here at Loretto at the United Nations – we count on your support. Thank you for everything you do, large and small, to promote the rights and well-being of girls globally!